Friday 18 March 2011

A Girl Can't Make an Entrance Without her Lipstick



Lipstick. Contrary to popular belief, not a frivolous or a superficial issue. I sort of knew it since a long time ago (if you saw my collection of red lipsticks you'd understand), but I had it confirmed a couple of weeks ago, when Dior invited me to an exclusive presentation of the brand's new lipstick range at the Dior Suite in the Plaza Athénée hotel (by the way thanks to the Dior Spain team for making it a fabulous day!). When I saw miss Kate Moss saying the words "a girl can't make an entrance without her lipstick" I became a believer.
What most people don't realize (visibly the ones who don't use it) is the way the lipstick you choose can change you day. In my experience:
- Statement red lipstick (what is traditionally known as "the Dior red") is impressive indeed. There is always something Marilyn Monroe-ish about it (especially when it has a satin texture) and it does attract everyone's glances. It's the perfect lipstick for a fancy soirée but... not for dates! For, as Andy Warhol once said, "Marilyn's lips were not kissable, they were photographable".
- Darker red/ purple/ chocolate hues are, without the shade of a doubt, ideal to feel empowered (and we all need to feel powerful at times, sometimes badly). The kind of gothic feel to these tones is still incredibly feminine. I always wear this kind of colours for things like work meetings or in the (very scarce) occasions in which I find myself surrounded by straight men.
- Fuchsia and shocking pink are great, so cute and fun yet grown up. I love wearing them everyday in summer, especially when I'm around other girls, as the colour really is extremely feminine (for that same reason it can also work on dates).
- Beige tones are cool and understatedly chic. Also modern, and they go great with black eyes. To be honest I hardly use them as I kind of have a fetish for loud lipstick and nail polish shades (it's the Classic Hollywood kitsch starlet in me), but I do love to see it on other girls.

Knowing all this, you can understand how a girl can't make an entrance without her lipstick. Lip make-up, just as clothes, can change the way you feel and the way others see you. Also, a girl needs several lipstick colours for changing moods. In my make-up frenzy, I have already tried many of the Dior Addict Lipstick shades, and I already have some favourites: the super dark Perfecto, a really shiny prune tone that makes your lips seriously yummy, and the classic New Look, a vinyl red that turns cherry thanks to its glossy texture.
But I think the real discovery for me was DiorKiss, the colour Kate wears in the short film. For the last 2 years or so I have gotten into the habit of always wearing lipstick, usually making my entrance in red, burgundy, purple or coral tones. As a result, when I'm wearing bare lips (which sometimes is also necessary, like in a ride along the countryside with friends or when you don't want to scare a boy - I actually think boys don't really like lipstick... oh who cares) I have a bit of a lipstick cold turkey. The thing about DiorKiss though is it has a very light acid pink shade to it and it's really shiny and moisturizing, so when I wear it the effect is that of "bitten lips" which, honestly, before DiorKiss, I had never been able to find. So now I'm truly addicted and... I'll never make an entrance again without my lipstick!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments.